Saturday, October 30, 2010

Disneyland Trip - Days One and Two

We surprised our kids. We'd been planning on going sometime, but never mentioned a specific date to the
kids. We finally decided to bite the bullet and I booked the trip. Then I invited my mom and dad to come along. We planned the trip to take place during harvest break from school in September. We told the kids we were going to Las Vegas to spend some time with family there.

It was all working out so nicely until the school board voted to change harvest break because the potatoes weren't quite ready to harvest. My kids ended up missing four days of school. I missed parent-teacher conferences. We still had a good time.

Since the kids didn't know, we decided to tell them in Randy's usual fashion.

It started in the bathroom as soon as they were out of bed. Then it went to another bathroom...

...out to the garage, back into the house, and hopefully ending with them figuring out that we were going to Disneyland. Except that they never did figure out we were going to Disneyland.

Now, if it were me, I would have put a huge sign on the van that said, "Disneyland Express." But it wasn't just me and we tried it his way. It failed. The kids totally didn't get the clues so we finally had to tell them we were going to Disneyland and then they didn't believe us. Total let down. In fact, McKay started to cry because he wanted to go to Las Vegas!

We left home at about 6:15 Saturday morning and headed to Vegas. We arrived at Uncle Kyle's house at about 3:30 in the afternoon.

The kids had a great time playing in his pool. I had a wonderful time visiting with my sister-in-law, who I didn't get a picture of.

I'm pretty sure Randy had a great time catching up with his older brother, Kyle. I think Kyle and Randy are the most alike of the brothers.

That night, Kyle had a messy face contest for the kids. I don't really have to show you a picture for you to know who won. Tanner could win without trying. We loved staying at Uncle Kyle's house and we're ready to go back anytime.

Sunday morning we got up early and had a wonderful breakfast with Kyle and Francie. Then we hit the road for LA. The traffic was horrible! But we finally made it to our hotel and met up with my parents. The kids were pretty excited by now and pretty shocked to see Nana and Papa.

We had all of Sunday afternoon/evening so we wandered around and I fell in love with the palm trees that lined the roads and the sidewalk. Okay - I loved the whole trip, but I enjoyed our little walk to Downtown Disney and through the shops.

We watched the fireworks and then headed off to bed because Monday was going to be a busy day!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I am so glad you are doing this. I love reading this and going down memory lane again. I should start a blog. Better than what I do. So far I am enjoying all you are wriitng.

Fantastic Five said...

Um....not that I don't LOVE your post on the palm trees, but I wanna see the MOUSE!

P.S. If I get one more employee update telling me all the wonderful things I am missing by not being a LIVE instructor at BYU-I, I might just break down and cry for a week.