Monday, May 3, 2010

Why I Enjoy Teaching at BYU-I

My second semester at BYU-I is in full swing and I am enjoying it just as much as the first (though it should be noted here that there is some longing for the Eldest Child who knows my personality). What is it that keeps me going despite all those papers I have to grade?
  • Opening songs. Sometimes I let the students choose, and sometimes I choose. I like to choose happy songs. Songs like "In the Leafy Treetops" really gets class set off on the right note (pun intended). This semester, I even have a piano in my classroom!
  • Opening prayers. I enjoy hearing my students pray. Each one is unique and individual and I can get a better understanding of each of their personalities just by listening to them pray. I suppose that is a little insight into how our Father in Heaven feels when he hears each of us pray.
  • Gospel Doctrine classes. My students have grown up attending Sunday school classes where they are expected to participate. Fortunately for me, they do their preparation and are willing to share when they come to class. It makes my job so much easier.
  • Discounts. It needs to be said. I'm frugal; not as frugal as some, but frugal none the less. I get a discount on certain purchases in the bookstore and on some ticketed events on campus. Makes for cheap family activities or date nights.
  • Associations. I get to talk to, work with, question, and hob-nob with some very intelligent, very talented individuals, and I'm not just talking about my students. The faculty are amazing as well. I not only get to teach some of the brightest individuals around, I also get to learn from some of the most learned, both spiritually and intellectually.  
I would have to work really hard to find a better place to do what I love. The real test will be to see how I feel after I grade the first set of 54 papers.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I can't think of a better place to work than where you love to be, enjoy being, and even look forward to being. You are certainly lucky and very blessed. By-the-way, how does the class respond to "In the Leafy Treetops"?

Amy said...

So what are you teaching? I thought it was English? Is it a religion class? And yes, I remember poor Braxton and how green he was when he first fasted!

Annie and Family said...

Amazing isn't it!