Friday, April 9, 2010

The Eldest Child

You know how you think you know what you're doing and then your eldest child comes along and you make mistake after mistake in parenting? And then your second child comes into the world and you don't make nearly as many mistakes. Well, that's what I felt like with this class and I even told my class as much. They were my eldest child and I was making all my mistakes on them. Thankfully, this wonderful group of students managed to survive me and I know better how to teach the second child.

My students kept telling me I would miss them. Indeed, I will.


I will miss Danielle's beautiful smile. She's heading to BYU-Hawaii. I'm jealous. I told her to take lots of sunscreen. I'm going to go visit her. Do you think she'll remember me when I show up at her dorm room?

This is Brian. Brian earned his associates degree at BYU-I and is transferring. I asked him about the scruffy look and he told me that his razor broke and he's not going to replace it because he's never going to shave again. I understand that BYU has that affect on some people.


Derek, from Chicago, served in the Las Vegas West Mission. I asked him once about the worst place he ever served. His answer: Winnemucca. Derek didn't like to talk in class either, but he eventually came around to my way of thinking. Then I found out he was majoring in exercise science and I didn't want him to talk so much.


Alex (on the right) didn't want to be photographed alone, so I make Kelli slide over next to her. Alex had a her own personal style and the neatest handwriting I've ever seen. You know, you can learn a lot about a person by eavesdropping on their phone conversations...which I did because Alex was always on the phone with her husband right before class started.

Kelli (on the left) didn't like to talk in class either. One day, she came to me for help and I discovered that she had a lot to say about everything. After that, I called on her often in class. She had a lot to contribute. She's from San Diego. I was very in favor of a field trip to her hometown.

Shelbi wants to be a nurse when she grows up. She claimed this corner on the first day of class, and strangley, nobody ever challenged her for it. Shelbi asked me a lot of questions and I enjoyed the challenge they gave my brain.

Crystal was another one of those silent types. I cured her of that. She challenged me to go running and how could I turn her down? I would look like a wimp (which I am but I don't want her to know that). Besides, I enjoy a challenge. I just hope she can keep up with me. (ha ha ha ha ha ha)


I will even miss Bradley, king of the one liners. He plans to be a computer programmer, but I think he may be more successful as a stand-up comic. One day in class, I told him I was going to tape his mouth shut. The next class period, he brought his own roll of tape to class.

Between Bradley and Michael B., I got my comic relief. I don't have a picture of Michael B. But I will never forget his opening prayer in which he thanked Heavenly Father for the weekend. Aren't we all grateful for the weekend? How often do we think to thank our Father in Heaven for it?

Valorie is graduating tomorrow. She's pregnant, just in case you couldn't tell. (She's reading that book which will never tell her the things she really needs to know, like she's going to be terrified when the sun goes down on the first day at home of that child's life. But who am I to ruin her fun?) When I put my students in groups, I wondered why I could always hear Valorie's voice above all others. Then I went to her senior vocal recital and heard her fill up the recital hall with just her pair of lungs and I no longer wondered. She was our strong soprano when we sang hymns. She also liked to lead us in ritardandos.


We could almost set our watches by Ty, who had a tendency to run about 10 minutes late on a daily basis. But then at the end of the semester he pulled it together and came early! Threw us all off our schedule. Did I mention that I took donuts on the last day of class. I just didn't want you to think that Ty just randomly ate chocolate covered donuts in class.

Wesley is the one who randomly ate in class. I don't have a picture of Wesley. He didn't come to the last class (because technically he didn't have to) and he missed our VERY important final at the frozen yogurt place because he was working in the temple. Admirable, don't you think?

Zach served in the Las Vegas Mission and even spent a night in Elko! He is also transferring to BYU-Hawaii. I greatly doubt that he'll have a teacher over there who will bring donuts to class...or get off topic...or bring their mother and daughter to class.

My other Derek came from Ashton. He served in Alabama so we had some great talks about life in the South. Derek had a 50 pound biology textbook in his backpack. I honestly don't know how he stood up straight.


This is Josh with his adorable wife, Jenny. (I don't even know if I'm spelling her name right.) She's pregnant, too. Josh is transferring to BYU and informed me that my class was a waste of his time because it won't transfer to BYU. I told him that my class was not a waste of time because knowing me is celestial. Okay, Josh, I'm sorry the class won't transfer, but you sure were a lot of fun to have in class.

This here would be the Treters: Mike and Kimberly. They are married. For one year on Sunday. They are a cute couple who kissed when they said hello at the beginning of class. Nevermind the fact that they had only been apart for a few hours, they still kissed with each hello. Having a married couple in class was fun. Think of all the great conversations starters I must have given them.

Andrew is a Rexburg native and is such a positive, happy man. He isn't very trustful, though. He doesn't trust my digital drop box. Just because it ate three of his four papers is no reason not to trust it.

I don't have pictures of all my class. For example, Richard, who became a first-time dad this semester. Bryce who knows more about physics than I ever care to know. Amanda E. who went to London for a week. Amanda C. who is absolutely passionate about the theater. Jordyn, who plans on transferring to BYU.

I moved our final from campus to the frozen yogurt place near campus.


I told them to bring their spouses and most of them did. Some brought friends or siblings. I even took my spouse. He took the pictures.


I will always remember my first class at BYU-I, my eldest child. They were patient with me and even though they didn't like the fact that my class was required, they came prepared (for the most part). I remember my surprise on the second day of class when they had actually done their homework AND they participated. They even participated when I made them sing (and do the actions) "Once There Was a Snowman." (And WOW! could this class sing!) My job was so much easier because I had such a great class. They worked hard to follow the learning model and teach one another.

They even taught me a thing (or fifty). And if they remember to sing, they will be able to handle anything.

5 comments:

Marielle said...

To Sister Stockings Eldest Child: I am her sister and I loved hearing about her class, her students, the great discussions, etc. From the younger sister-thanks for being easy on her.

Natalie said...

I am the Nana - Trulee's Mom who showed up in class one day. I wanted to tell you then and still do, "Thank you for taking this class, for giving 'Sister Stocking' her first, and probably best ever, class. I think you benefited a whole lot (cinnamon rolls??? what other teacher does that while she is really TEACHING??) You have been very lucky to have her - and she you. Thanks again" I loved hearing about you all semester and looking at her blog. Best of luck to each of you as you contintue to pursue you goals.

Kim said...

We all love you, Sister Stocking. Enough said. :)
Kimberley

Bradley said...

Gosh. This class was fun. I posted that picture of me as my facebook profile picture. :)

Danielle said...

Of course I'll remember you Sister Stocking!! You're welcome any time too! :)