Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sister Nelson's Challenge

Teaching at BYU-I has its benefits. A few weeks ago I received an invitation in the mail to a women's meeting. The meeting was for all female employees, wives of employees, and wives of university bishoprics and stake presidencies. At first I didn't think I would be able to go because Randy is out of town and Braxton had mutual. However, mutual was cancelled because they are going on a camp out this weekend. Suddenly I had a babysitter so I quickly made arrangements to go.

I called my friend, Amy Jenson, and invited her to go with me. She braved the very slick roads and spent the evening with me listening to Sister Wendy Watson Nelson and her husband, Elder Russell M. Nelson. I had previously heard Sister Nelson speak at Time Out for Women and was excited to be able to hear her speak again.

Sister Nelson told of an experiment of sorts that she had asked six women to do. She had just asked them to be more holy for three days. She said she wanted to know how a holy woman would.....

How would a holy woman do the dishes? fix dinner? bathe the kids? How would a holy woman go to the grocery store? exercise? do her visiting teaching? How would a holy woman deal with conflict or avoid conflict? How would a holy woman do the laundry? clean the bathroom? talk on the phone?

She asked these women to choose one activity a day and try to be more holy doing it. She shared some of the comments with us. Evidently, we women go about being holy by cleaning our floors.

Then she challenged us to be more holy. I'm sharing that challenge with you. For the next three days, choose one activity each day and try to be more holy doing it. Ask yourself, "How would a holy woman_______?"

The one thing she said was we came to this earth to become holy. It takes time to become holy, meaning we have to put forth an effort and be concious that we are working on becoming holy. So, let's work on becoming holy.

How would a holy woman _________? Pick one thing each day and try to be more holy doing it.

1 comment:

Annie and Family said...

Thnak you! What a wonderful challenge! On another note... I was wondering if I could use your piano practice sheet? If so, could you perhaps e-mail it to me? :)You are a doll!

Annie