Saturday, January 9, 2010

For Heather

As I was going through boxes, I came across stacks of old letters. Is it weird that I keep old letters? Some of them are over 20 years old! That dates me, you know. After high school, my two closest friends left for greener pastures. One of them, Heather, went to ISU. Because Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet, we had to use the old-fashioned Pony Express to send letters. Heather wrote to me often. She sent letters:
She sent cards:

She sent letters in funny envelopes which required some explanation to my parents:

One of the funniest things Heather did was write song lyrics on the envelopes. They were always songs that Heather and I shared--driving to Twin to do who-knows-what. She's the one who first introduced me to the Eagles.

Sometimes I think the lyrics were meant to cheer me up.

Heather took care of me during a very hard time in my life. It couldn't have been easy for her because it was just weeks before her wedding. As I went through the stack of letters, I was just so grateful that I was blessed with a Heather who was - and still is - what a true friend should be.

1 comment:

Heather Skahill said...

Wow! I can't believe you saved all those. I'd love to see them sometime and see what crazy things I wrote! I don't remember the safe sex envelope, though. That's kind of funny. It's so nice to be back in touch with you.