Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Baseball

I know there is snow on the ground. I know that Tanner's baseball season ended 4 months ago. I also know that this is my journal and so it doesn't matter how over-due my post is, it's going to get posted.

Tanner was selected to play on the All-Star team which meant a lot more practice and three tournaments. The first tournament was in St. Anthony, so it was only 7 miles up the road. The second tournament was in Driggs, and that's just up the road. The last tournament was in Bear Lake and we packed up the camper and made a trip of it.

I love watching Tanner play baseball. Normally, Tanner doesn't pay attention to what is going on around him. He's in his own world and oblivious to others. However, when he's playing baseball, he is so focused! He listens to his coach, watches the players, knows where the ball is going; those are all characteristics that I wouldn't normally use to describe Tanner.




One night of the tournament the team and all the families went down to Bear Lake.




It was a great way to relax before the big final game the next day. Tanner's team ended up taking 2nd in the tournament. He played well and improved so much during the baseball season. I can hardly wait for next year.

After the tournament, we took the long way home and drove over the mountain to Preston. My dad was born in Preston. My grandma and grandpa Millington grew up there and I probably still have family there. My goal, though, was just to go to the cemetary and visit Grandma and Grandpa.



My grandpa died when I was in 8th grade, but Grandma lived until I was 26. She died about the time I found out I was pregnant with Tanner. Starting sometime when I was in high school, my grandma spent every Christmas with us. Those are precious memories.

I took the time to show my kids the graves of their great-great grandparents, my grandma Millington's parents.

I tried to remember stories about them to tell my kids so that these people would become more real to them. All that did was teach me that I have a lot more to learn about my family history.

I'll be better prepared when we visit again next year after the tournament. (No pressure, Tanner.)


 


1 comment:

Natalie said...

Love the walk down memory lane. Thanks.