Saturday, December 26, 2009

Merry Christmas!

I did not send out Christmas cards this year. I'm sorry. Guiltily, I opened all your cards and received your warm wishes and made a promise that next year I'll do better. And I just might. So far I'm doing great at every other year. But if I had sent out Christmas cards and a family letter, this is what it would have said:

Another year is almost over and we are almost sad to see it go. Even though 2009 was hard, it was a great year for us and we had some good things happen.

In March, Randy was offered a job as the education administrator at a juvenile corrections center in Idaho. A school district in Colorado was also an option, but we felt strongly that Idaho was where we were supposed to be. He began work the end of April. The kids and I stayed in Nevada to get the school year over with. We put our house on the market the first of June and had an offer in 36 hours. It was truly a blessing and a confirmation that this is where we are supposed to be.

Unfortunately, finding a house in Idaho did not go so smoothly. We looked at a lot of houses, and eventually, we found a home we loved, but it involved going through a short sale. We made an offer on the home in July, but quickly learned that short sale stands for anything but short. We moved into an apartment (which was scary and you can read about it here) and got the kids into school, knowing that we'd probably be moving in the middle of the school year. We finally closed on the house in November and were able to move the first week of December.

Randy loves his job, but since his facility is always open, school runs year round. We are still adjusting to not having Christmas break, spring break, and summer vacation. On the other hand, he doesn't have to discipline students and he doesn't have to deal with parents. He intends to begin his Ph.D. in the fall. We must be crazy.

Braxton started 7th grade at one school and will finish at another. I think junior high is hard enough without having to switch schools in the middle of the year. He started band this year (percussion) and loves it. He loves reading and I struggle to keep him in books. He got to go to scout camp for the first time this past summer and loved it. He loves going to Young Men's activities and tolerates playing the piano.

Tanner is in 5th grade and hated to leave his old school. On the first day at his old school, he made 19 new friends. On the first day at his new school, he made 19 more new friends. He is a friendly, social boy and has a great sense of humor. He's working on earning his Webelos badge as it has been hard with two moves and three wards. In January, he will no longer take piano lessons from mom but will go to the same teacher Braxton is taking from. Tanner and mom are excited about that. Tanner is the tall one in the picture below.

Kilee is in 2nd grade and loves her friends. She has a new little friend who lives behind us and they love playing together. Kilee gets a little lonely being the only girl so we're glad for her cousins and friends to play with. She is a great helper around the house and loves to be neat and organized. Really, she's my sister's daughter but somehow ended up at my house. She can't wait to be baptized in June and is lobbying for pierced ears.

McKay is 3 and is just fun to have around. He's such a good boy and can't wait for his turn to go to school. His favorite time of day is when his brothers and sister get off the school bus. He loves nursery and is getting ready to go to primary in January. He loves his daddy and is his little buddy.

I miss Nevada more than I thought I would. I miss my friends (good friendships take time to build, you know) and I miss the blue Nevada skies. I graduated with my master's degree in May and am so glad to be done. I'm still tutoring for the college in Elko, doing all my work online. I miss the classroom, though, so I will start teaching at BYU-Idaho in January. I'm thrilled about this opportunity and have felt so at home in the English department there.

We have loved the opportunities that we've had this year to cement friendships, reconnect with old friends, and make new ones. We have truly been blessed in 2009, and count our blessings every day.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

No comments: