Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Melancholy Tuesday

Blame it on the weather. It's cold here and feels like fall and fall always makes me melancholy.

Yesterday was my brother-in-law's birthday. He turned 37. For a few weeks each year, we are the same age. Daryl actually came home from Iraq the day before my birthday just a few weeks ago. His wife was kind enough to share him with us while he was home. They drove down from Washington and we enjoyed being with him. I know the cousins enjoyed being together.


Daryl is in the red shirt in this picture. Yesterday morning, on his 37th birthday, my brother-in-law got back on a plane and headed back to Iraq. I thought about that a lot yesterday. That could not have been a fun birthday. I think as adults we expect our birthdays to be more like normal days. Typically we don't have parties and aren't showered with gifts. But a trip back to war (with a long layover in Dallas) isn't usually on our agendas either.



So Daryl, Happy Birthday. Eat some Pralines and Cream for me. (That would mean you can have it twice this week.) We can't wait to see you again in the spring!

No comments: