Friday, December 19, 2008

Piano Party

Today was my annual piano Christmas party. Four years ago I did a Christmas recital and a the next year attempted a Christmas sing-a-long. Two years ago I decided we all needed one less thing to do. So began my Christmas party. I believe my students need the opportunity to perform publicly and to hear each other and build a community of fellow musicians. (Note: Last year, I called the nursing home to inquire about playing there. They don't have a piano.) My students come to my house prepared to play a Christmas carol for each other, we play games, eat treats, and it's very relaxed.

When I only spend 30 minutes per week with each student, it takes about six months to get to know them. The Christmas party allows me an opportunity to get to know my students better and observe them in a different setting.


I also like to see how my students interact with each other. I think I'm pretty lucky in that I have terrific students. The older ones really help take care of the younger ones. They are all friends. This has nothing to do with their piano abilities and everything to do with the good parents raising them. Except for that little blond girl up there (who happens to be my daughter). She looks crabby. Wish I knew what was going through her mind.






I wish I could say that they all played wonderfully, but they didn't. I think Mallory had a perfect performance today. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that I had 11 children running around my house in stocking feet and sharing in the joy that music brings.

No comments: