Thursday, December 18, 2008

Baked Out

As much as my Scrooge complains about Christmas, there is one thing he loves: baking season. Some treats I only make once a year.


Mixed nut brittle has too much buttery-sugary goodness to be made more than once a year. My kids love the breaking-up part. It means we were successful.


My fudge melts in your mouth. Unfortunately, this pan was accessible to a certain 2-year-old and his little fingerprints ended up in one end. Guess we'll keep that part.


And that part is quickly disappearing.

And while I took a picture of Braxton trying to sneak some fudge, that darn 2-year-old found the fudge I hadn't wrapped yet! Guess we'll keep this part, too. Scrooge was very disappointed with this turn of events.
Do I sound convincing?

Next seasonal treat: gingersnaps. I love this recipe I got from April because the cookies are soft and delicious. And it's one of those great recipes that the kids can help with.

I'm not very patient with the roll-into-a-ball-and-roll-in-sugar process. That's where the kids come in. Kilee did all the gingersnaps.

This year I finally got smart and figured out an assembly line process for my thumbprint cookies. 9 dozen cookies in 30 minutes. And Scrooge even took this picture. He also took some not-so-flattering picts, too. Those will not be posted on my blog.

Growing up, one of my favorite holiday things to do was make gingerbread houses. My mom has a recipe to make your own gingerbread and the patterns for the house. We'd make them and put them together. My favorite part of the house was usually the roof. We used Andes mints for shingles. My kids love this, too. Our little house doesn't look nearly as wonderful as Vicki's (go see her kids' house by clicking on the Jeppsen Family blog, below). However, I'm sure we had just as much fun and the whole idea is about creating memories, anyway.

The treats are baked and delivered. My holiday baking is nearly done. Most of the goodies are given away (my scale said I had to), but some are still lurking in places where I can use them to sweeten up my scrooge.

Holiday baking....otherswise known as bribes. :)

No comments: